Sunday 2 September 2018

Roasted Butternut Pumpkin and Parsley Salad


Sometimes all I want to eat is a simple, nutritious, comforting meal, with minimal effort, and packed with flavour. This roasted butternut and parsley salad hits the spot and always leaves me feeling satisfied, content and convinced that all is well with the world. It is so easy to whip up, that I made it for dinner yesterday, in the midst of cooking four different things for Roast, Simmer & Bake's new pop-up stall, in a kitchen that looked as if a tropical cyclone had torn through it.


This salad only has five ingredients, including the dressing so there's really no excuse not to make it when you want a nourishing, comforting meal in a matter of a few minutes. The recipe, if you can call it that, is simply a list of ingredients so you can play with the quantities according to taste. The longest you'll wait is the time it takes the butternut to roast in the oven, but this is when you get on with prepping the other ingredients. I could eat this by the bowlful on its own, but last night, I coated some chicken tenderloins in a vaguely Moroccan spice mix to go with the salad, and it turned out to be the perfect meal.


A relatively quick blast in a very hot oven caramelises the surface of the butternut, deepening its already brilliant colour into a vivid, volcanic orange and gloriously intensifies its sweetness - for me, it's the best way to cook this gorgeous root vegetable. Flat-leaf parsley adds a fresh and herbaceous note, while a crumble of feta brings a sharp saltiness and a sprinkling of crunchy pepitas adds textural interest. The salad is finished off with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. I use a glaze made of balsamic vinegar as I like its syrupy density, but any good balsamic vinegar will do.


This salad is perfect as it is, in its original state - but one of the best things about it is how versatile it is. Leaving the pumpkin base and the balsamic drizzle intact, it is endlessly variable, and each iteration of it tastes different, yet amazing. I have both substituted and added to the pepitas with toasted pine nuts and almonds. I've used dried cranberries for an added but different sweetness and a pop of colour. Goats' cheese is even better than feta as its tangy sharpness is a perfect foil for the deep, rich, sweetness of the roasted pumpkin. Each variation is lovely. As I said earlier, this is great on its own, but for a more substantial meal, grilled or roasted chicken or lamb work beautifully with it.

Just writing this post has given me cravings... though I only made this last night, I might have to have a repeat session this evening...

No comments:

Post a Comment